Patting or slapping – a simple but effective way to help the body self-heal
Patting and stretching is a simple and effective technique any of us can do ourself to mobilize our body’s self-healing power to relieve pain and restore health from diseases /disorders. This therapy has helped thousands of people fight almost any disease from common cold to cancer, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Please read carefully to understand the principle of this therapy. Though simple it will be not be effective if it is done not long enough, not intense enough, lack of rhythm and attention.
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, our body is created with a system of meridians or a network of energy/blood channels that regulates the body functions and its self-healing process. If any of these channels is blocked, nutrients/ blood and energy can not be transported adequately to some part or some organ of the body. The result is pain, disorders and dysfunction somewhere in the body. Acupoints are the entrances through which Qi-Blood come in or go out of the meridian channels . For 365 acupoints on 14 meridians, there are 365 subcollaterals linked to the 14 meridian channels. The joints between the subcollaterals and meridians are the location of acupoints (Zang, Wang & Fluxe, 2015). If an entrance is shut for some reason the flow of Qi/Blood through that acupoint stops, causing pain and disorders in some place in the body. Patting relaxes surrounding muscles, stimulates acupoints to open the entrances for QI /Blood flow and also sends energy in sound wave form to clear blockages in passing and nearby meridians, thus relieving pain and facilitating the self-healing process.
The existence of these meridians have been verified by the evidence around the effectiveness of acupuncture and the revelation of the acupuncture meridian structure by biophotonics in the infrared spectral range (Schlebusc, Maric-Oehler & Popp, 2005). Below are pictures bladder meridians, when moxibustion is applied to one of its acupoints on each side.
Studies had been conducted to find out what made the meridians different from the surrounding areas (Zang, Wang & Fluxe, 2015). Researchers found out that
- Meridians (or energy flow channels) have a lower hydraulic resistance than the surrounding areas. Interstitial fluid (IF) therefore will move towards the meridians from both sides and flow along the meridians.
- Meridians have impedance lower than the surrounding areas.
- Transmission of sound waves is better along meridians.
- There is a lower IF pressure in low hydraulic resistance channels (LHRC) and “a pressure gradient toward LHRC along the meridians causing a dynamic source of convergent flow of IF toward the meridians. “
- There is ability to transport of water and glucose along meridians
- Meridians can be blocked by very high hydraulic resistance substances.
- Pain threshold is lower where a meridian is blocked.
- Muscle contraction obstructs energy (Qi) flow in the meridian channel (s) passing close by .
- When interstitial fluid (IF) is well circulated, the body can quickly eliminate acids and metabolites, creating a stasis of milieu interne.
- The “Qi”or energy flow in meridian system is considered by research scientists as corresponding to IF.
How to pat :
- Use your hands if possible. However, depending on the areas of the body, fingers, palm, karate chop or fists can be used.
- Pat rhythmically, not too fast, nor too slow.
- The intensity depends how you feel. Do not be too strong to hurt and cause discomfort. It should not be too soft that we can’t hear nor feel the impact . In fact patting helps relax muscles and joints, so we often feel comfortable with tolerable patting. However, the more intense the patting, the faster the meridians are cleared and the faster comes pain relief.
- You should pat at least 3 minutes in the same place but the duration can be up to 30 minutes if needed, such as for knee arthritic pain.
Please see the following videos to see how patting is done:
- Arm and elbow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnhEXTt-WJ8
- Knees https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruRyp0wxYO4
- Head and face: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6bIfKjfLHE
- Feet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNDEK3LLZXE
Please click paida flyer for summary of patting instructions
Widely effective : Patting stimulates many acupuncture points and meridians at the same time.
Simple : Everyone can pat most major areas where many main meridians pass through such as the head, face, elbows, shoulders, neck, limbs, knees, feet, chest, abdomen, thighs … If there are two people patting, they can pat each other’s back.
No tools or instruments are needed
No medicine needed
Convenient for everyone . We can pat any time during the day, as long as we want and as intense as we feel comfortable with.
Patting long enough unblocks the meridians . However, along the process patting relaxes our muscles, warms our body, and boosts our energy by increasing the circulation of blood, lymph and nutrients. Patting our head helps clear the mind, lighten the head, improve memory and if patting is diligently done every day, our hair can restore its youthful growth and color.
My grand daughter has suffered convulsions, spasm and limb stiffness for 10 years. Seeing her having seizures every day during her sleep is a daily emotional pain for us. We started moderate patting twice a day on her. It was not long before she no longer or rarely has convulsion during sleep. She becomes more relaxed, happier and able to laugh the whole day every day. After 2 months, her chronic constipation is resolved, no more laxative is needed.
Prior to Christmas, 2017, my son-in-law, Adam, called to say that he had won a double tennis tournament thanks to patting his head during game breaks. His team lost 5-2 in the final set and Adam saw no hope of a turning around because his head felt too tired/heavy. But remembering the benefits of patting therapy that I told him a few days before, Adam started patting his head during the breaks (about 1 minute 30 seconds each). Back to the court, Adam said that his head felt light and that he felt reinvigorated. His team won the set 8-6 and the club’s double tennis prize.
Patting/stretching workshops have been held in more than 60 countries over the past eight years with great success. Its effectiveness has been monitored and scientifically measured. People with diabetes, for example, who have a 4-7 day history of diabetes, were assessed before and after this therapy. You can read the reports on these workshops here :
- Help a person restore normal health from with Parkinson’s: See http://paidalajin.com/en/projectView/454 Practical Workshop in India (May 2015)
- Help restore health for people with diabetes and high blood pressure http://paidalajin.com/en/projectView/8ab3bc2c5bbdadc5015cf6b192a70004 (June 2017 in Nanjing, China)
http://paidalajin.com/en/projectView/8ab3bc2c5f0b9b9e015f769843820004 (November 2017 in Hong Kong)
- Help treat prostate cancer (Prostate Cancer): http://paidalajin.com/en/projectView/695 (October 2016)
- Also, according to the articles and videos shared by many people on the site http://paidalajin.com/en/projectPage, patting/stretching has helped them successfully fight the following symptoms: seasickness, diarrhea, nausea, insomnia, headache, depression, bipolar, bloating, arthritis , back pain, leg pain, hip pain, sciatica, swelling of limbs, varicose veins , osteonecrosis , hair loss, obesity, constipation, stiffness, measles (rubella), hearing impairment, breast cancer, lung cancer, urinary tract infection, end-stage lung cancer, dysuria , stroke, night sweating, blurred vision, Alzheimer’s (recovery of memory for an 88-year-old and a 95-year-old with Alzheimer’s here – http://paidalajin.com/en/projectView/391) , cardiovascular disorders, heat attacks : http://paidalajin.com/en/projectView/296
Many people succeeded in avoiding knee replacement or spine operations thanks to patting and stretching.
It seems that patting /stretching therapy can help prevent and reverse any health disorder.
According to Hongchi Xiao, there is no mystery about that because human beings are created with a meridians network for perfect self-healing and self-regulation. Just because the environment, foods, drinks – including chemical medicines – and greed, hatred, stressful lifestyle impair this self-healing system, diseases are not healed. What we need to do is to help clear blockages in the meridians to restore the body’s self-healing system. In other words, patting/stretching does not cure anything, it only help restore the body’s self-healing apparatus.
Principles of self-patting:
According to the meridian theory, the Heart is the main meridian of the body . Peace of mind, loving heart, loving heart, open mindedness, humility, thankfulness … will help relax muscles and nerves in the body thus facilitating unblocking the meridians.
So, for effective patting, we need to
Pat whole-heartedly . “It involves confidence, concentration and perseverance”. With positive belief in the therapy, “you will stay focused and persist in the practice ” If you are skeptical and affected by negative thoughts, the effect will be reduced or lost.
Close your eyes and pat silently to make it easier to clear your mind and focus on patting. You will avoid distractions and temptation to chat with others. Generated energy waves will flow through the meridians without disruption.
Understand the concept of self healing through the meridians
Repent whole-heartedly. Ask for forgiveness from family members -including yourself, friends and others, dead or alive, you have hurt by your words or deeds. If we keep on complaining after falling ill, “the negativity will grow stronger and the condition will worsen”. On the other hand, sincere repentance will bring out the positive power and greatly enhance the healing .
Be grateful . First for the pains and illness symptoms as they are kind reminders that something in your diet, habits, thoughts are not right for your body. Secondly give thanks to the Creator who created everything, specifically you and be grateful to your body. Thirdly be grateful to those around you and your “country for nurturing you. Fourthly be grateful to people, alive or dead, who have helped and cared for you”. And be grateful to those who are against you (enemies) and “who have hurt you for they are indispensable for your maturity/ growth as a person. If there is still hatred and resentment in you, the seed of illness” is still there. “Gratitude is the best way to clear up negativity” (Hongchi Xiao)
Pay attention to breathing. Breathe deeply. Inhale through your nose imagining you are drawing in clean positive energy, purity, humility, love , compassion. Hold your breath 3-60 seconds, exhale rapidly through your mouth imagining you are blowing away impure thoughts, arrogance, jealousy, greed, selfishness, anger.. from your body and soul.
Principles or mutual patting
- Pat with a caring heart, a positive mindset and hope for the recipient’s fast recovery.
- Both need to relax physically and psychologically.
- Pay attention to the recipient’s words, actions, expressions in the eyes and on the face in order to fully understand the needs, feelings, concerns of the recipient.
- Do not talk while patting to preserve energy (It s best with closed eyes)
- Always start with gentle patting before gradually increasing the intensity and make sure the intensity is within the recipient’s tolerance.
- Never force heavy patting on the recipient to avoid frightening the recipient and reducing the healing effect. “Gentle patting can produce the same or even better healing effect if you pat with love and long enough.” (Hongchi Xiao)
- Recipients should communicate and cooperate with the person who performs patting, show gratitude and repentance to the body and take the pain and discomforts as kind built-in reminders from the Creator.
If you have long-term illness, it takes time and perseverance to get results. Hongchi Xiao usually conducts 4 to 7-day intensive workshops for people with chronic illness. However, if it takes 4-7 days to be freed from chronic disease, it is worth doing. Taking a 4-7 days holiday for patting therapy is probably the best solution, as it keeps away work stress, house chore stress and creates good environment for the body to heal itself.
Purple, black spots on the thighs can confuse people around you. We often have to explain sometimes difficult for people to understand. (The picture below shows bruise-like patches when the meridians are blocked for many years – chronic conditions .)
If we apply it to our children and grandchildren, many people think they have been abused or beaten by parents. It is not easy to explain and convince those who believe only in conventional medicine. It may be better to pat long enough for the discoloured patches to clear away.
There may be healing crisis or healing reactions – which can be a very common, where the symptoms get worse before improving. This is normal indicating that the therapy works. When I applied patting therapy on Natalie hoping to stop epilepsy in her sleep,she actually had more seizures in the first few nights. But I kept on patting and she rarely has seizures during sleep since then.
Patting is prohibited in the following cases
- Those who are prone to bleed easily or those with blood disorder
- Those with skin trauma and/or festered skin with bodily fluid on it..
- Avoid patting the eyes of those with retinal detachment
- Avoid patting on body parts with open wounds and/or fractured bones
- Avoid wind and chills during patting.
- Drink some warm water before, during and after patting to avoid dehydration, fatigue or dizziness, and increase metabolism. It is best to drink ginger and red date tea.
- Avoid bathing or shower after patting.
- When discoloured skin patch appears, it is best to continue patting until it comes out thoroughly and then disappear.
- Do not stop or reduce prescribed medication if you have not consulted with your physician and got their consent. Not following this recommendation can lead to fatal consequences. This happened to a family in Australia who took their six-year-old son to a Sydney patting workshop in 2015. Having a type 1 diabetes and not allowed to take foods nor insulin for a few days, the boy fell into coma and died as a result.
Patting for chronic diseases
- Symptoms of chronic illness relate to all internal organs and blockages of all 14 meridians. Therefore, it is best not to pay attention to the name of the disease, but to find ways to unblock the whole meridian network for the body to self heal.
- Basically for all chronic illnesses (or symptoms) patting should be done over 4 universal regions and the head, i.e the elbows, the hands , the knees, the feet and the head.
- Patting the head helps effectively relieve headaches, insomnia, ear, nose and throat diseases (5 sense organs), cardiovascular diseases and Alzheimer’s. Because all the meridians relating to the internal organs end in the head, for instance the liver meridian ends at the eyes, kidney meridians at the ears, lung meridians at the nose, spleen meridian at the mouth and the heart meridian at the tongue.
- Equally important is the fact that the two most important meridians – Governing Vessel and Conception Vessel meridians- end on the head. These two meridians regulate the nerves, spinal cord and regulate the yin-yang throughout the body. Patting over these two is therefore very beneficial for people with neurological disorders and spinal stiffness.
- The armpits and groin are two of the weakest parts of the body where cold air, toxins and waste tend to accumulate causing chronic illness. Patting these areas to internally clean up these unwanted substances will help the body heal itself more quickly .
If you want to know which region to pat reduce specific symptoms, you need to refer to the route of and acupoints on the meridians. Please visit ” Body meridians” page.
HongChia Xiao recommends that patting be (supported ) done with stretching . He combines patting and stretching into one therapy called Paidalajin. That is, patting and stretching. The following page will give you clear instructions on how to stretch appropriately to relieve illnesses. Please click
Stretching flyer to view
- Eat moderately 3 times a day or less. Avoid the habit of eating all the time and the habit of eating even when not hungry.
- Do not eat to the full. It is best to eat no more than 70-80% of your stomach capacity.
- Avoid processed foods
- Eat less animal based foods
- Eat more vegetables with wide variety and seasonally
- Avoid taking medication, as much as possible because drugs similar to processed foods are man made chemicals which create more toxins when ingested. However you must consult your doctors before stopping prescribed drugs.
THANK YOU FOR READING
This article is for information purpose only, not to be taken as health or medical advice. The author is not responsible for any actions of the readers.
Chana Bar Rashi (2017) The Body Meridians. A Guide to Holistic Healing. URL: https://www.natural-health-zone.com/body-meridians.html
Hongchi Xiao (2016) Heal Yourself Naturally Now through an established classic Chinese technique : PaidaLajin. Downloaded from http://paidalajin.com/en/download
Schlebusch, K., Maric-Oehler, W. & Popp, F. (2005). Biophotonics in the infrared spectral range reveal meridian structure of the body. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. Volume 11, Number 1, 2005, pp. 171-173
Wei-Bo Zhang, Guang-Jun Wang and Kjell Fuxe (2015). Classic and Modern Meridian Studies: A Review of Low Hydraulic Resistance Channels along Meridians and Their Relevance for Therapeutic Effects in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015; 2015: 410979 URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4363694/